American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
Louis Grizzard, a great American
~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's choice ~ not chance ~ that determines your destiny.
Jean Nidetch

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vermilion Flycatcher

Amazing..the one I spotted looked just like this...brilliantly red!


Vermilion Flycatcher.............What a beauty! He landed on the spare tire cover just outside my rear window. My computer table is there and I was facing the window when he just flew up there and sat for about 30 seconds. I was in the process of grabbing the camera but didn't get it ready in time for the shot. I borrowed these pics from the web. He was just beautiful. I'm going outside later to look for more. Here's what my book says about them -

  • In southern Texas, the Vermilion Flycatcher is conspicuous and tame, often nesting near houses and farmyards. The bright colors of the male have earned it the Mexican name brasita de fuego, "little coal of fire."

  • During mating season, the male will often present his female of choice with a brilliant colored insect, such as a butterfly.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He is gorgeous. I've never seen one like this. Cute.