- 3 T olive oil
- 3 cups chopped yellow onion (3 med.)
- 1 T Splenda
- 3 T minced garlic (6 cloves)
- 2 t salt
- 2 t dried basil
- 1 1/2 t dried oregano
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 t fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups fat/free less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 (28-oz) cans (no-salt added, opt.) crushed tomatoes
Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add splenda and next 7 ingredients (thru fennel seeds); cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in vinegar; cook 30 seconds. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to simmer. Cook over low heat for 55 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally. Yield: about 12 cups (serving size: 1/2 cup).
Calories 50; Fat 1.8 g; protein 1.3 g; Carb 8g; Fiber 2.1g. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze up to 4 months.